Logic riddles are thinking puzzles that can only be solved using logical reasoning. They involve regarding situations and making judgements about them by ruling out impossibilities.
This is in contrast to lateral thinking puzzles, which rely on unconventional methods to reach correct answers.
Scientific research consistently suggests that men are more predisposed to think logically than women. Find some brothers and sisters, or aunts and uncles, and put it to the test with some logic riddles below.
- A bat and ball cost £1.10. The bat costs £1.00 more than the ball. How much does the ball cost?
- A mother, a father and two children need to cross a river. They find a boat nearby, but it is small and can either carry one adult or two children at any one time. Both children are good rowers, but how can the whole family reach the other side of the river?
- You are killed in a plane crash and find yourself in front of two identical doors. One leads to heaven and one leads to hell. There are identical trolls at each door. One troll can only tell the truth, whereas the other can only tell lies. Only the trolls themselves know who does or does not lie. You can ask only one question to only one of the trolls. What is the one and only question that will ensure you passage to heaven?
- The day before yesterday, Will was 17. Next year, he will be 20. How can this be?
- Upon winning a game show, you are shown three doors. Behind one of the doors is a new car. Behind the other two are goats. You choose Door #1. Door #2 is then revealed to you and you are given the chance to stay with Door #1 or take Door #3. Is it to your advantage to switch?
- You have two small, plain, unmarked hourglasses. One measures four minutes, the other measures seven. Using only these, how can you measure a time of nine minutes?
- Mr. Green, Mr. Red and Mr. Blue were having a drink at a local bar. One man was wearing a red suit, one a green suit and the other a blue suit. “Have you noticed,” said the man in the blue suit, “that although our suits have colours corresponding to our names, not one of us is wearing a suit that matches our own name?” Mr. Red looked at the other two and said, “you’re absolutely correct.” What colour suit is each man wearing?
- A family consists of two mothers, two daughters, one grandmother and one granddaughter. How many people are in the family?
Logic Riddles Answers:
- 5p – not 10p.
- The children both row across. One returns. An adult goes over, and the kid comes back. Both kids row across again, and one comes back. The other adult rows across and the kid comes back. Both kids row across again.
- Ask either troll which door the remaining troll would point to if asked which door led to Heaven. Whichever door the troll points towards is the door to Hell. Pick the other door.
- Will’s birthday is 31 December, and the statement is made on January 1. He was 17 the day before yesterday (on 30 December), 18 yesterday, will be 19 this year (31 December) and therefore 20 next year.
- When you make your first choice, the chance of winning is 1 in 3. When you switch doors, the odds shift from a 2 in 3 chance of losing in the first round to a 2 in 3 chance of winning in the second round.
- Turn over both hourglasses simultaneously. When the four-minute hourglass finishes, immediately turn it over. When the seven-minute hourglass finishes, immediately turn it over. The second time the four-minute hourglass finishes, the seven-minute hourglass will have been running for one minute, so immediately turning it over will record the final minute. Nine minutes in total will have elapsed.
- Red replied to the man in the blue suit, and none of the men are wearing the colour that corresponds his his name, it must be Mr. Green he replied to. Therefore, Mr. Red is in the green suit and Mr. Blue is in the red suit.
- There are three people – a grandmother, her daughter and her granddaughter. The grandmother is a mother to her daughter and her daughter is the mother to the granddaughter.
How did you do?
The kind of logical riddles above will force you to use an area of your brain dedicated to performing logical tasks. While studies show that men generally perform tasks using the left (logical) side of the brain, these really are just general observations.
So, if you are a man, don’t be too surprised if your aunt scores higher than you!